Sunday, April 3, 2011

Week 16 - The Nerves Kick In...

Now that all of the long runs of my training are over it's supposed to be a smooth taper from here til race day. The coaches say that this can be the most enjoyable time of the training season.  An appropriate taper doesn't just feel good - it's essential to maximizing marathon performance. It gives the body a chance to heal from the stress of the long runs, recharges it prior to the real event, and mentally gives a runner a chance to relax as well. All season I've had a good mind about all of this - super nervous at times, yes, but I never lost sleep.

Until this past week.

Now that the long runs are over I'm anxious, nervous... and feel like I should be running constantly. Of course I've done my research and know that isn't how it works for all the reasons mentioned above. I've stuck to my regular amount of training during the week but something is keeping me up at night. I guess I just can't believe that this thing is here! It's looming over me... and in a big way I don't want it to be over. I've really enjoyed this whole process and once it's over... what am I going to do with myself? (soo dramatic, I know! Haha)

Yesterday's team run was 12 miles but I skipped it due to lack of sleep 3 nights in a row before =(
Instead I took a yoga class and busted out the run this morning by myself. Glad I got it done but missed the team.

Today I also got a massage did some "marathon wardrobe" shopping and got myself a new running shirt and a super cool running bag thing (yes, kind of like a fanny pack, haha).

Feeling better and ready for my last 2 weeks. 15 days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment